2013 Dulce Dama Dessert Wine
This is our first dessert wine, made in the traditional port style by fortifying it with brandy. We selected on bin of fruit, destemmed it, and started fermentation. When the Brix dropped to about 19.5 brandy was added to stop the fermentation. The fortified juice sat on the skins and pulp overnight and was pressed off the following day. The alcohol was adjusted for flavor. It was moved to neutral barrels and allowed to age for 2 1/2 years before bottling.
Dulce Dama is a classic port-style wine, full of flavor but not cloyingly sweet or thick with sugar. Enjoy with dessert, especially chocolate.
- Varietal Composition: 100% Tempranillo
- Appelation: Central Coast
- Vineyard: Santa Ana Valley
- Harvest Date: September 24, 2013
- Time in Barrel: 30 months
- Bottling Date: March 30, 2016
- Production: 67 cases
- Fermentation: primary in open-top fermenter