2012 ¡Viva Yo!
The Summer of 2012 was extremely mild, making it a later-than-normal harvest (by about 3 weeks) for the Tempranillo. Fall weather ranged from intense heat (in late September) to cooler periods with sporadic rain. Happily, neither Paso Robles nor San Benito was plagued by the intense rains that flooded Napa and Sonoma counties.
This vintage of the ¡Viva Yo! — everyone's perennial favorite and our flagship wine — is drinking great right now. The color is traditionally Tempranillo, rich and deep ruby purple. This wine has youthful, yet intense, flavors of cherry and plum, hints of smoke and leather, all layered with the spice so typical of Tempranillo. All of the wines from the 2012 vintage have soft tannins and bright fruit, and ¡Viva Yo! is no exception.
Pair this wine with anything from a beefy braise of short ribs to grilled salmon or lamb sirloin. It drinks well with red-sauce pasta, grilled vegetables, fhearty soups, and spicy food such as Thai cuisine.
- Varietal Composition: 90% Tempranillo, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Appelation: Central Coast
- Vineyard: Santa Ana Valley (San Benito County) and Carmody-McKnight (Paso Robles)
- Harvest Date: October 22 and October 29, 2010
- Time in Barrel: 22 months
- Bottling Date: August 2012
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- Release Date: April 5, 2014
- Production: 237 cases
- Fermentation: Cold maceration for 3 days; primary in open-top fermenters, secondary in barrel