2010 Vaca Roja SOLD OUT
The 2010 Vaca Roja has big, bold flavors of cherry and cassis, followed by hints of plum, licorice, smoke, and earthy fig and black truffle. Chocolate lingers on the nose. It has a velvety mouthfeel with a never-ending finish!
When I first tasted this wine after bottling it seemed a bit one-dimensional -- a "hit you in the face" wine without much subtlety. No longer! The flavors are revealing themselves over time, with layer upon layer opening up through the aging process. Since I've never made this exact blend before I can't tell you how long this wine will drink well. I can say that the aging process is not nearly finished . . . After all, this wine is only 5 years' old!
Serve Vaca Roja with lamb, pot roast, big meaty stews, venison, and anything you prepare in a slow cooker. Pizza, paella, chicken cacciatore, and any dessert with chocolate should be a perfect match.
- Varietal Composition: Monastrell (75%), Garnacha (25%)
- Appelation: Paso Robles
- Vineyard: Nevarez Vineyard
- Harvest Date: September 30 and October 3, 2010
- Time in Barrel: 26 months
- Bottling Date: February 11, 2013
- Alcohol: 14.7%
- Release Date: April 11, 2015
- Production: 160 cases
- Fermentation: Primary in open-top fermenters, secondary in neutral and new French oak barrels